Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

[REVIEW]MJ ( air jordan 3) v.s. Pip (air pippen II)

KENLU PhD

PhD
註冊日期
2006-07-14
帖子
原文由baccap11張貼

Doing a review on AJ 3 and Air Pippen 2 together is not a easy job, because they are two shoes that are from different eras (80s v.s. 90s) with different technologies (Air Sole v.s. Zoom Air). However, I think this is something I wanted to do for a long time.

Let's do it..........

1.身高 - still around 200cm......

2.體重 - still overweight, but it is dropping........

3.穿鞋習慣 - play in the paint most of the time, but I can take the long one........

4.踝部支撐(Ankle Support): AJ 3 > Air Pippen 2
Both shoes are mid-cut designed. Actually, if you look closely, Pip 2 cuts a little bit higher than AJ 3. Ok, a lot of you might have the question now........How come a shoe has higher cut could result in lesser ankle support? This is not a hard one to answer - it is the material Nike used to make the shoe. I am not sure how many of you have both shoes on hand. If you do have them, take them out, and feel the leather around ankle area. Pip 2 has really soft leather not only around ankle, but also the whole shoe. On the other hand, Nike used some kind of "stiff" leather on AJ 3, which results a better ankle support IMO. The difference between them may not be that noticeable, but I can feel them.

Please do not misunderstand me, Pip 2 does not have bad support at all, it is just that AJ 3 does better. In addition, for a person do not need that much support around ankle area (don't ask me why, I was never a big fan of real high-top shoes), both shoes are doing their jobs.

2.抓地力(Traction): AJ 3 = Air Pippen 2
I play on clean indoor hardwood floor (yes, I am lucky......); for this reason, I almost never tested a shoe that has real traction problem. Both shoes performed really well in this aspect.

3.舒適度(Comfort): Air Pippen 2 > AJ 3
Here is one area that I need to address clearly. I worn my AJ 3 first about 2 weeks ago. During my play, I could not really feel the air sole at all under my heel. To be honest with you guys, I was not surprised. For a pair of shoe desined/originally came out more than 10 years ago, I would not expect it could give me a very soft/smooth ride under the heel. Here is the real problem. I took a shower after the play, and my right heel started to hurt like crazy. The pain never stopped, and it became even worse the day after. I woke up the next morning, and I had trouble walking. The thing is that I could not apply any pressure on my right heel. The pain under my right heel stayed pretty much for the whole week.

I am not sure what really caused this. I worn AJ 3 retro in 94, and it did not feel like this way. However, the thing is that back in 94, I never worn it to play basketball, at least I don't remember I have worn it for balling.

Pip 2 is a different story at first. I played in them for about 2 hours on this past Saturday, and it feels great. I can feel there are two air units, under my forefoot and heel, working perfectly to give me impact protection. The soft feel does not like the one coming for FP3 or Huarache 2k4, but pretty close.

However, here is the confusing part. Of course, I went in shower after the play, and the pain under my right heel came back again. The only difference is that the pain I felt was not as bad as the one I felt two weeks earlier. In addition, I still had trouble walking the very next morning; however, the pain was almost all gone by the Sunday afternoon.

The whole thing kind confused my a little bit, then I kind guess the answer out myself a little bit. If you look the material Nike used to make the midsoles for both shoes, then you can see the difference.

Can you guys see that white material Nike used to make the shoe? I am not sure what they used, but the material Nike used to construct the midsole feels really soft. I think this kind of material actually inhence the impact protection for Pip 2.

If you have the shoe, feel the black material. It is kind hard, ain't it? IMO, this kind of material is not going to help the shoe impact-protection-wise at all. Oh, there is another think I forgot to mention. I did not know this myself, until I MSN with ED this afternoon. Originally, I thought Pip 2 used zoom air under the heel, instead of regular air sole, which could also contribute to the reason why I got problem with my AJ 3. However, I was wrong on this, ED told my Pip 2 also used regular Air Sole, it is the forefoot Nike used zoom air.........

In conclusion, I think the problem I have with AJ 3 is mainly caused by the harder material used by Nike to make the midsole. Of course, I have no degree in material science, and I don't know anything about making shoes. I just want to express my feelings about it..........The other think I can tell you guys is that I worn original Air Revolution, which has the same midsole, and I could not felt the soft ride like I had with my original Air Force 2 at all............So, it is got to be the midsole.............

Fit-wise, I think both shoe are pretty good. The lacing-system on both shoes have done their jobs. Of course, Pip 2 has a better lacing system, like TMac1 said above. However, both shoes are easy to lace up and make lace really tight. The advantage of Pip 2 has over the AJ 3 is that the shoe has a inner-bootie design, which hug your feet pretty well.

4.反應性(Responsiveness): Air Pippen 2 > AJ 3
Except the problem I had with AJ 3 that mentioned above, Pip 2 forefoot zoom air also gives the shoe a better edge in this category. In addition, I think that the Pip 2 also is lower to the ground. It may not make a difference for a heavy guy who plays in the paint most of the time like me, but it sure will make a great deal for a ture fast tempo type player.

5.耐用性(Durability): Air Pippen 2 = AJ 3
Actually, I don't really know anything about this, since I have only played indoor ball once with each shoe..........For this reason, I have to give it a draw..........

6.重量(Weight): Air Pippen 2 = AJ 3
I don't really feel much difference between them. I think both shoes are light IMO. Again, this is something that you guys should not ask me. Weight of a shoe is not usually a problem for me, since I am pretty heavy myself. for this reason, unless the shoe is super heavy, like Air Force 180 high, I would not tell the difference..........

7.總評(Overall): Air Pippen 2 > AJ 3
I know this may not be a fair comparative review between Pip 2 and AJ 3, since those two were came out in different ears. However, the good thing is that you can see Nike keeps making improvements thru the years.

It kind makes me sad when I heard Pip is not coming back for his final season. As a big fan of him, I always wanted to watch him until his last game. He is not the some old Pip that he used to be anyway, but he is still the best SF IMO. As far as MJ, I don't think I have to say anymore for him. He is the best of the best. NBA is falling down, and I don't really watch it anymore. However, I think I am lucky enough to see Pip played alaone with MJ for years, at a ear when NBA players played mainly for their pride............

Good buy, Pip and MJ..........

u815063

註冊日期
2006-08-07
帖子
回覆: [REVIEW]MJ ( air jordan 3) v.s. Pip (air pippen II)

怎麼辦....看不懂耶!! 誰可以幫我翻譯??

頂部 底部